Sunday, March 10, 2013

Updated action research

I wanted to talk about my desire to do action research on the topic of parent involvement related to building trust and closing the achievement gap between low and high SES groups. This is definitely an area of concern for me, but I spoke on a topic that was of interest to me as a single topic rather than what was in my intern plan. After realizing that I would need to explore three action research topics, and after review of my intern plan I realized that it was more wise to focus in three different areas that had already been established.

1. Evaluate Parent Involvement: There are two parts to this action research: Can campus course surveys generate constructive feedback relevant to improving student achievement? Evaluate the success of the monthly Principal's "town hall meeting" as a means of generating more parent involvement.

2.Evaluate Current Programs: Evaluate special courses such as Elective Reading and Elective Math as an appropriate form of remediation? Evaluate the Dyslexia program to determine if it is meeting the needs of students.

3. Review Support Staff Responsibilities: Evaluate the role of support staff personnel as critical to student achievement. Identify requirements of the job, training opportunities, assessments and professional development. Create plans and make suggestions for improvement as needed.

These are areas of concern within my current school that I can get done in a manageable amount of time and thus make more since as action research plans during the duration of my intern plan. I do plan to revisit the previously stated action research when I have more time.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you have chosen three excellent topics. All of those topics are areas of concern in my school district as well. I think that what you gain from your research projects will be beneficial to you no matter where you end up. Good luck on your research. I look forward to reading more about your journey.

    ReplyDelete