Sunday, September 29, 2013

Update!!!

It has been a while since I have been back to this blog. I wasn't getting much feedback, so I had decided not to continue writing here. In EDLD 5326 I am required to return to this blog. If anyone is still keeping up with my progress in this action research process, below is a summary of sorts and the end result. Thanks.


In EDLD 5301 I was required to develop and implement an Action Research Plan. This plan was approved by my site supervisor and I began working. I was interested in finding ways to improve communication between parents, students, and teachers in an effort to include a more collaborative approach in improving instruction. The school I work at had implemented the use of a survey that was developed as a result of a five year district improvement plan. This survey was sent out to parents and given to students asking them to rate their teachers’ performance and the overall success of the classes the students were taking. For about three years, teachers had been getting feedback from parents and students. The first time the survey results came back, teachers were excited to get feedback, but were surprised at the negativity that came out as a result. If students felt that they were performing well in a class, they gave their teacher a favorable rating, if that student was not performing well, or they had gotten in trouble in that class, they gave the teacher an unfavorable rating. The moral of teachers went down because these surveys were being read by the principal and teachers were required to explain the results. As a whole, most surveys were mixed, but the fact that there were so many negative responces was not received well. The parent surveys that were returned were not answered any different. Very few favorable surveys were returned and not all parents filled out surveys. In fact, teachers reported receiving many positive email communications between parents, but the surveys reflected more negatively than positively. There were even inappropriate comments sent through surveys. Since all surveys were anonymous, there was no way to track where the information was coming from. Teachers felt that that the way questions had been written on the surveys indicated that the principal was seeking feedback similar to a customer comment card. Additionally, most of the student questions used words that were above the students’ reading level and the parent surveys asked parents to answer questions that could only be answered if they too were in the classroom daily. Instead of encouraging constructive feedback, the survey directed the person taking it to agree or disagree without explaining themselves and it almost seemed like the survey would be used to determine teacher placement. Surveys were feared by teachers instead of being used as an instructional tool. For my action research, I focused my attention on this topic.

Teachers were fed up with the survey process and were requesting a rewrite. The newly assigned principal granted us the opportunity to do just that and I began to work. My first step was to put together a committee of stakeholders. Three teachers, three students, and two parents agreed to participate. Our first actions as a committee were to get teacher, parental, and student feedback in regards to the current survey process. Focus groups from each sub group were put together and members from the committee gathered data and suggestions for possible changes for a survey meant to be constructive. The results from each sub group reflected the same concerns and the suggestions for a possible rewrite were also very constructive. When the committee conviened to report the results and suggestions, there was a feeling of accomplishment as if we were on the right track toward achieving our goal. Using the data collected from the focus groups and the overall teacher feedback at the beginning of this process, the committee reviewed every question and reauthored the survey. The end result was presented to the principal who decided to skip the remaining plan items and then agreed to meet with the superintendent and district administrator in charge of this portion of the district strategic plan. The plan was in his hands now. This is where I left the process at the end of last school year.

At the beginning of this school year, I met with the principal to discuss the results of his meeting and the status of the committee’s new survey proposal. The conversation was awkward. Even though we had been given authorization to reauthor surveys and we had come up with a plan that was fit to our campus and approved by our principal, it was implied that the work we had done to reauthor surveys was not received very well by the person in charge of that item in the strategic planning. Earlier in EDLD 5301, I had shared my concern that this might happen. I was simply told that the campus was going to go in a different direction with surveys but there has not been a decision about what that will look like, or if we will have them at all. I felt as if I did not have the proper clearance to receive classified information and the hard work I and my committee had done was neither appreciated, or welcomed. The end result of this action research had me going back to my committee to thank them for all of their hard work and precious time, but explaining that I was not given a clear answer about the future of surveys on our campus and information reguarding surveys would be forthcoming in the future via the principal. I couldn’t even tell them if our survey would be used or not. I didn’t have clear answers for my committee members and I felt as though all of the credibility and trust that I had worked so hard to gain from my colleagues and this committee was gone. Worst is that I had to tip-toe around the truth and reveal this information without sounding frustrated, or negative about any of the process in fear that how I handled this would reflect on my performance. The committee on the other hand did not hold back and they expressed very candidly how disappointed they were and how they felt that their time had been wasted. Unfortunately, I don’t believe that any of these people will serve on a committee like this again in the future because they don’t trust our administration and they now feel like they don’t matter. I wish I had something different to report, but I have leared A LOT during this process about what to do and what not to do in educational administration.

Hours spent on this action plan item: 21 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment